The Jocelyn Centre offers a specialised program for preconception health care with a view to achieving a natural, healthy conception.
Our approach is one of common sense, focusing on optimal health for prospective parents before conception occurs to optimise your chances of a healthy conception, pregnancy, birth and baby.
Our program focuses on nutrition, detoxification, lifestyle change, stress management and natural medicine to improve general health and address any pre-existing conditions.
Particularly for those experiencing fertility problems, we work in conjunction with our in-house doctor who specialises in reproductive health. Orthodox tests, diagnosis and medicine are used to complement the natural therapy approach and seek to address and heal any issues rather than overriding them.
Our integrated approach also includes in-house access and referrals to both medical specialists and additional alternative health services such as acupuncture to provide holistic, comprehensive care.
With decades of research, clinical practice and successful outcomes, the practitioners at The Jocelyn Centre look forward to assisting you achieve your goals of a natural, healthy conception.
“I had had a lot of trouble falling pregnant and after 2 years, a friend recommended the Jocelyn Centre. At first my husband was skeptical, but after hearing the success rates & seeing that the treatment was very common sense, he was very supportive. After being on the preconception program for an extended 6 months, due to complications that needed to be sorted out on my side, we eventually fell pregnant after 3 months of “trying” – we actually conceived quicker than the average of 4 months. We were thrilled to have a healthy, happy and very lively boy!”
Mrs P.N., Woronora Heights NSW
“My experience has been nothing but wonderful. I was guided through my pre-pregnancy program, had a great pregnancy, felt healthy, fit & strong and was not at all fearful of the pending birth. Of all the people I knew pregnant at the same time, I was the only one who felt so great. It’s the only way to do it. Both my son and I still visit regularly for naturopathic consultations. Thanks [naturopath]!”
Mrs E.H., Bronte, NSW
Regarding success on our Conception Program
|Conception Program Booklet
A comprehensive guide to the Conception Program
|Conception Program Fees & Procedures
A complete guide to fees and consultation procedures
|Conception Program Questionnaire
Please complete and bring to your first consultation
|Conception Program Success Rates
Research and success rates for preconception health care
|Conception Program FAQs
Some questions regarding the Conception Program answered!
|Specific Reproductive Health Issues
Details of whether our Conception Program can assist
|NSW Health Brochure
Regarding the importance of preconception health care
The Jocelyn Centre offers a preparation program for all prospective parents that optimises your chances of a natural, healthy conception, pregnancy, birth and baby. This includes comprehensive preconception health care and natural treatments for fertility problems.
Benefits for prospective parents:
- increased chance of a healthy conception, pregnancy, birth & baby
- an alternative to assisted reproductive technology for most fertility problems
- gentle, natural and safe – does not threaten your health
- integrated team of naturopaths and doctors
- an empowering experience of understanding and managing your own fertility
- improved general health and energy
- equal involvement and support for each partner
- learn safe, natural contraception for after the birth of your baby
- helpful for older parents or those with undiagnosed fertility problems.
Benefits for your pregnancy & birth:
- decreased chance of miscarriage, premature birth or stillbirth
- decreased occurrence of common pregnancy complaints (such as morning sickness)
- decreased occurrence of more serious problems (such as gestational diabetes, hypertension)
- decreased risk of postnatal depression
- increased chance of a natural, unmedicated birth.
Benefits for your baby & child:
- increased chance of a healthy, happy baby
- reduced risk of congenital malformations (birth defects)
- increased chance of problem-free breastfeeding and close bonding
- less likely to suffer from various health and learning problems in childhood
- parents educated about diet and nutrition for growing family.
Benefits if Assisted Reproductive Technology is required:
- has been found to more than double your chances of success with IVF (see “Success Rates”)
- helps to avoid the increased miscarriage and health risks to mother and infant that may occur.
Comprehensive initial face-to-face consultations are undertaken to complete a full health assessment and devise a tailored program that aims to optimise health and fertility through:
- lifestyle modification
- improved diet and nutrition
- diagnostic tests and protocols
- natural treatments and medicines
- non-invasive medical tests and treatments
- counselling and relaxation therapy
- charting and timing techniques.
Regular check-ups (every 4-6 weeks) are then undertaken to monitor progress and revise therapies. These consultations can be conducted by phone for patients living outside Sydney.
As part of the Conception Program you will also receive a Conception Kit that guides you through the initial stages and between consultations. It contains copies of Natural Fertility and The Natural Way to Better Babies by Francesca Naish, a workbook including instructions, charts, diet guidelines and recommendations, Relaxation CD, fertility thermometer, personal lunar calculations and calendars and a time zone calculator (to adjust for different time zones if traveling).
Preconception health care can only be of benefit if sufficient time is given for it to be effective in restoring nutritional status, removing toxins and improving reproductive health before conception takes place. In most cases, four months is a minimum period of preparation.
Our Conception Program also offers couples with no fertility problems the option of increasing their chances of a particular gender for their baby. For further information, please refer to our Conception Booklet.
Phone (02) 9268 9000 to book your complimentary ½ hr introductory consultation.
Infertility & IVF Support
Our Conception Program can be extended or modified to support prospective parents with a wide variety of reproductive issues.
A common situation is where there is unexplained infertility i.e. there is no diagnosed medical health issue. Often this is caused by a combination of various nutritional deficiencies, toxic exposures, lifestyle and sub clinical health issues in both partners. These cases are often resolved in a straightforward fashion through the Conception Program which utilises a combination of natural and orthodox tests and therapies to fully explore and address these issues. Please refer to our Conception Program for further details.
Natural therapies are also extremely effective in treating most male and female reproductive health problems which may compromise fertility. These may include hormonal imbalance, irregular cycles, PCOS, endometriosis, fibroids, recurrent miscarriage, previous health concerns with pregnancy or baby, thyroid or immune systems problems and problems with sperm count, motility, morphology (shape) or DNA integrity. Age and stress issues can also be well supported. Please refer to our Conception Program for further details and to download our fact sheet on Specific Reproductive Health Issues.
Can I do IVF or use fertility drugs at the same time?
In most cases, we recommend our Conception Program as your first option (rather than your last or concurrent option). If it is at all possible to have a natural conception this is obviously the better path to take for all concerned. There are also some practical reasons for this:
- preconception health care can significantly improve your chances with assisted reproductive technology procedures (if you end up taking this option afterwards)
- even seemingly intractable fertility problems are often overcome or improved while you are on the Conception Program and IVF may be rendered unnecessary
- taking the time to do natural preconception health care for any fertility problems can end up being time saved in the long run. Even for older prospective parents, the time spent in the short term by boosting your health can be worth it in the long term because the chances of the first attempt being successful are higher
- preconception health care can help reduce the risks which can be increased for those on assisted reproductive programs such as miscarriage, poor foetal or infant health problems or perinatal death.
IVF Support Program
For patients whose fertility problems are not amendable to natural therapy (such as severely blocked tubes), your naturopath can support you prior to and during IVF/ICSI or any other assisted reproductive procedures.
Our IVF Support program is undertaken with a view to improving your overall health, increasing the possibility of success and decreasing the health risks involved. A recent study in the UK showed IVF success rates more than doubled when preceded by a period of preconception health care.
The Jocelyn Centre has longstanding relationships with many IVF clinics with referrals occurring in both directions. We are knowledgeable about the processes involved at these clinics and will work in conjunction with your IVF doctors to ensure you are receiving the very best in general and reproductive health care.
|Infertility & IVF Support
A summary guide to our IVF Support Program