The Jocelyn Centre offers an effective, safe naturopathic and integrative program for preconception health care with a view to achieving a natural, healthy conception.
Our approach is one of common sense, focusing on optimal health for prospective parents before conception occurs to optimise your chances of a healthy conception, pregnancy, birth and baby.
Our program focuses on nutrition, detoxification, lifestyle change, stress management and natural medicines to improve general health and address any pre-existing conditions.
Particularly for those experiencing fertility problems, we work in conjunction with GPS, gynaecologists, endocrinologists, urologists and IVF doctors, where required.
As part of our integrative philosophy, we refer all of our prospective parents for extensive medical pathology testing to further our understanding of all aspects requiring therapy. Where necessary, we also recommend undertaking further medical treatments or procedures to complement our natural therapy approach, and have excellent referral relationships with many medical specialists.
Other natural therapies, such as acupuncture, may be recommended when appropriate.
With decades of research, clinical practice and successful outcomes, the practitioners at The Jocelyn Centre look forward to assisting you achieve your goals of a natural, healthy conception.
“I had had a lot of trouble falling pregnant and after 2 years, a friend recommended the Jocelyn Centre. At first my husband was skeptical, but after hearing the success rates & seeing that the treatment was very common sense, he was very supportive. After being on the preconception program for an extended 6 months, due to complications that needed to be sorted out on my side, we eventually fell pregnant after 3 months of “trying” – we actually conceived quicker than the average of 4 months. We were thrilled to have a healthy, happy and very lively boy!”
Mrs P.N., Woronora Heights NSW
“My experience has been nothing but wonderful. I was guided through my pre-pregnancy program, had a great pregnancy, felt healthy, fit & strong and was not at all fearful of the pending birth. Of all the people I knew pregnant at the same time, I was the only one who felt so great. It’s the only way to do it. Both my son and I still visit regularly for naturopathic consultations. Thanks [naturopath]!”
Mrs E.H., Bronte, NSW
Regarding success on our Conception Program
|Conception Program Booklet
A comprehensive guide to the Conception Program
|Conception Program Fees & Procedures
A complete guide to fees and consultation procedures
|Conception Program Questionnaire
Please complete and bring to your first consultation
|Conception Program Success Rates
Research and success rates for preconception health care
|Conception Program FAQs
Some questions regarding the Conception Program answered!
|Specific Reproductive Health Issues
Details of whether our Conception Program can assist
|NSW Health Brochure
Regarding the importance of preconception health care
The Jocelyn Centre offers a preparation program for all prospective parents that aims to optimise your chances of a natural, healthy conception, pregnancy, birth and baby. This includes comprehensive preconception health care and natural therapies for fertility problems, followed by naturopathic support during pregnancy.
Possible benefits you may experience by practicing preconception health care:
- for prospective parents (see Success Rates download above for more on this):
- increased chance of a healthy conception, pregnancy, birth & baby
- an alternative to assisted reproductive technology for many fertility problems
- gentle, natural and safe – does not threaten your health
- integrated naturopathic and medical approach
- an empowering experience of understanding and managing your own fertility
- improved general health and energy
- equal involvement and support for each partner
- learn safe, natural contraception for after the birth of your baby
- helpful for older parents or those with undiagnosed fertility problems.
- for your pregnancy & birth
- decreased chance of miscarriage, premature birth or stillbirth
- decreased occurrence of common pregnancy complaints (such as morning sickness)
- decreased occurrence of more serious problems (such as gestational diabetes, hypertension)
- decreased risk of postnatal depression
- increased chance of a natural, unmedicated birth.
- for your baby & child
- increased chance of a healthy, happy baby
- reduced risk of congenital malformations (birth defects)
- increased chance of problem-free breastfeeding and close bonding
- less likely to suffer from various health and learning problems in childhood
- parents educated about diet and nutrition for growing family.
- if Assisted Reproductive Technology is required. The Foresight and other studies have shown that preconception health care:
- has been found to more than double your chances of success with IVF (see “Success Rates download above”)
- helps to avoid the increased miscarriage and health risks to mother and infant that may occur.
Comprehensive initial consultations are undertaken to complete a full health assessment and devise a tailored program that aims to optimise health and fertility through:
- lifestyle modification
- improved diet and nutrition
- diagnostic tests and protocols
- natural therapies and medicines
- non-invasive medical tests and treatments
- counselling and relaxation therapy
- charting and timing techniques.
Regular check-ups (every 4-6 weeks or as appropriate) are then undertaken to monitor progress and revise therapies.
As part of the Conception Program you will also benefit from the use of our Complete Guide to Optimum Conception that supports you through the initial stages of your program and between consultations.
Through this guide you will also have access to a cycle charting app designed to work closely with your program. This will assist you to understand your cyclic fertility more thoroughly, give your practitioner valuable diagnostic information, and provide a way to time your conception attempts more accurately.
Preconception health care can only be of maximum benefit if sufficient time is given for it to be effective in restoring nutritional status, removing toxins and improving reproductive health before conception takes place. In most cases, four months is a minimum period of preparation due to the life span of the sperm and maturation phase of the egg, during which time all benefits can be optimised.
Phone (+61) 2 9268 9000 to book your complimentary Introductory information session.
Infertility & IVF Support
- A couple is regarded as infertile when they have not conceived after 12 months of regular, unprotected sexual intercourse. Approximately three out of five couples conceive within six months of trying; one in four take between six months and 12 months. For the rest conception takes more than a year, which means there may be a problem.
- About 15% of Australian couples of reproductive age have a fertility problem.
- In about 40% of infertile couples, the problem is a male factor; in about 40% it is a female factor, and for the remaining 20% it is a joint problem, or the cause is unknown (“idiopathic”).
- The causes of infertility are many and varied. They include problems with the production of sperm or eggs, with the fallopian tubes or the uterus, endometriosis, frequent miscarriage, as well as hormonal and autoimmune (antibody) disorders in both men and women.
Our Conception Program can be extended or modified to support prospective parents with a wide variety of reproductive issues.
A common situation is where there is unexplained infertility i.e. there is no diagnosed medical health issue. Often this is caused by a combination of various nutritional deficiencies, toxic exposures, lifestyle and sub-clinical health issues in both partners. These cases may be resolved in a straightforward fashion through the Conception Program which utilises a combination of natural and medical tests and therapies to fully explore and address these issues. Please refer to our Conception Program for further details.
Natural therapies may also substantially support and improve outcomes for most male and female reproductive health problems which can compromise fertility. Our practitioners have extensive experience with these conditions which may include hormonal imbalance, irregular cycles, PCOS, endometriosis, fibroids, recurrent miscarriage, previous health concerns with pregnancy or baby, thyroid or immune system problems and problems with sperm count, motility, morphology (shape) or DNA integrity. Age and stress issues can also be well supported. Please refer to our Conception Program for further details and to download our fact sheet on Specific Reproductive Health Issues.
Can I do IVF or use fertility drugs at the same time as receiving preconception health care?
In most cases, we recommend the preconception health care given during our Conception Program as your first option (rather than your last or concurrent option). There are also some practical reasons for this:
- preconception health care may significantly improve your chances with assisted reproductive technology procedures (if you end up taking this option afterwards)
- even seemingly intractable fertility problems may be improved while you are on the Conception Program and IVF may be rendered unnecessary
- also, if it is at all possible as a result of improvements to your fertility to have a natural conception this is obviously the better path to take for all concerned
- taking the time to do natural preconception health care for any fertility problems can end up being time saved in the long run because this may help the chances of your first conception attempt being successful
- even for older prospective parents, the time spent in the short term by boosting your health can be worth it in the long term as the health risks due to ageing eggs and sperm may be reduced
- preconception health care may also help to reduce the risks associated with assisted reproductive programs, such as miscarriage, foetal or infant health problems or perinatal death
- hormonal or fertility medications may not be compatible with some naturopathic remedies used in preconception care, and your program can be adjusted as appropriate
- however, for patients whose fertility problems are not amenable to natural therapy (such as severely blocked tubes), your naturopath can support you prior to and during IVF/ICSI or any other assisted reproductive procedures, with a focused and comprehensive care program.
IVF Support Program
If you have already started your IVF cycle and medication, and preconception preparation is not appropriate, it is still possible for us to support you during the cycle. We supply naturopathic remedies to improve endometrial health so the embryo is supported to implant, and nutritional support for its healthy growth.
Our IVF Support program is undertaken with a view to improving your overall health, increasing the possibility of success and decreasing the health risks involved. A Foresight study in the UK showed IVF success rates more than doubled when preceded by a period of preconception health care.
The Jocelyn Centre has longstanding relationships with many IVF clinics with referrals occurring in both directions. We are knowledgeable about the processes involved at these clinics and will work in conjunction with your IVF doctors to ensure you are receiving the very best in general and reproductive health care.
There are some specific changes that are made to most women’s naturopathic supplements during the actual IVF cycle.
- Some fertility medicines and drugs may not be compatible with some aspects of naturopathic therapy, but it is still possible to continue to give significant and meaningful support.
- There may be a short period during the IVF treatment cycle when a small number of your naturopathic remedies are ceased, but most can be continued throughout and may improve the outcome.
- These protocols are a result of consultation and agreement with most Australian IVF clinics.